We now bundle Graphviz together with Rgraphviz. Building Rgraphviz
consists of (for Linux and OS X)
- running configure and make in Rgraphviz/src/graphviz
- install into Rgraphviz/src/usr
- copy files from Rgraphviz/src/usr and subdirs into Rgraphviz/src
We build Rgraphviz statically, and we build in the source directory
(experiments have shown that Graphviz cannot really be build in a
separate build directory).
For Windows, we provide pre-build static libraries, included in
with ARCH being i386 and x64.
Preparing Graphviz for inclusion into Rgraphviz
In order to bundled Graphviz with Rgraphviz, two tasks needs to be
1) Removal of unnecessary components (slimming) of Graphviz
2) Building static libraries under MinGW.
This is accomplished using the script
It requires a source tarball (graphviz-2.28.0.tar.gz) obtained from
Graphviz itself consists of the main layout routines, a number of
rendering routines and finally the command line tools. We only need
the layout routines for Rgraphviz, and by remocing the rendering
routines and command line tools, we minimize the number of
dependencies (and of things going wrong). The code is organized as a
number of subdirectories of lib. Each subdirectory contains either
part of, or a complete library or command line tools.
In order to remove the subdirectories we need to identify which
subdirectories are needed (non-trivial) and then remove any mention of
them from the configure.ac script and the Makefile.am scripts. This
is done by patching the source code using graphviz-2.28.0-slim.patch.
After we have removed the mention of these subdirectories from
configure.ac and the various Makefile.am, we also physically remove
the subdirectories in order to reduce file size.
After this is done, we use the tool autoreconf to regenerate
Makefile.in's from Makefile.am's. This tools requires both autoconf
(at least 2.65) and automake. I have been using autoconf 2.69 and
automake 1.12.1 and both of these tools are straightforward to install
(at least under OS X Lion).
Finally we patch Graphviz 2.28.0 in order to fix a couple of bugs
(that have been fixed in the devel version of Graphviz). Patches are
contained in graphviz-2.28.0-bugs.patch.
After the script finishes, the resulting graphviz-2.28.0 tree is ready
to be copied into Rgraphviz/src (rename it from graphviz-2.28.0 to
cp -R graphviz-2.28.0/* Rgraphviz/src/graphviz
Building Windows DLLs
We need to build Graphviz as a static library using MinGW. As an
added complication we want to use the compilers the R project provides
in Rtools, but we also need the rest of the MinGW environment. For
the first round of development I used
although I believe newer sets of tools should be fine. Both MinGW and
Rtools need to be installed.
The build script is
At the top of, a number of variables are set, giving the location
of R, two bin dirs from Rtootls, two bin dirs from MinGW and the
location of Rgraphviz.
The first part of the build_graphviz_mingw.sh script uses 'R CMD
config' to grab relevant variables from R in order to feed them to the
configure script from Graphviz. Next, Graphviz is patched and build.
This is happening for both i386 and x64. The end result is contained
in libwin, which can be copied into Rgraphviz/src.
The following section contains some notes on things we have had to
deal with, in the hope that it may be helpful to solve future